Created by Jenny Morris
When I first got married to my husband David, I realised that he had a very sweet tooth and that he enjoyed a dessert every night after dinner. I used to make individual apple crumbles and freeze them. He had one every single night topped with ice cream for the first 20 years of our marriage and never grew tired of them. I got tired of making them though and begged him to try something else!
- -------INGREDIENTS FOR ALMOND PASTE-------
- cups self-raising flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 175g cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup castor sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 large egg
- --------INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE FILLING-------
- 500g Fiji, Pink Lady or Granny Smith apples
- 150g blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 3 tablespoon flaked almonds
- honey, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Butter a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- To make the almond paste, place the flour, ground cinnamon, cardamom and ginger into the bowl of a food processor, and pulse to mix together. Add the butter and pulse till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Don’t over-mix!
- Add the castor sugar and ground almonds and pulse together to blend. Remove about half of the crumbs and set aside for the topping.
- Now add the egg to the remaining crumble and pulse to incorporate. Line the base and sides of the cake tin with almond paste and chill until you are ready to use it.
- Let’s prepare the apples. Peel, core and chop the apples into bite-sized pieces.
- Place them into a bowl with the blueberries, lemon juice, orange zest, sugar and corn flour, and mix together using your hands.
- Pile the fruit into the prepared cake tin, top with the reserved crumble and flaked almonds.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the apples are cooked and the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with honey and cool for 10 minutes in the cake tin before sliding it out carefully.
Serve with dollops of Greek yoghurt, mascarpone or creme fraiche, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.