By Kamado Jan
- 1kg beef rump for roasting
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1½ tsp mustard powder
- 2 large red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 bulbs of garlic, cloves separated but unpeeled
- 15g fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, to drizzle
- Mustard and barley for stuffing
1.Take the meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to bring it up to room temperature. Preheat your Kamado Jan to 230ºC. Weigh the beef to calculate the exact cooking time – for medium, cook for 15 minutes per 450g plus an extra 20 minutes; for well done, cook for 20 minutes per 450g plus an extra 20 minutes.
2.Put the beef in a large roasting tin. Sift the flour and mustard together in a bowl, then use a tea-strainer or sieve to dust it over the meat. Season with freshly ground black pepper then move the roast over to your Kamado Jan Rotisserie.
3.Roast the meat for 20 minutes, then reduce the Kamado Jan temperature to 200ºC and cook for the remaining calculated cooking time.
4. When the beef is cooked to your liking, transfer it to a serving platter and cover loosely with foil. Let the meat rest for 20 minutes. Carve and serve with the roasted onion and garlic, plus veggies and trimmings of your choice. Garnish with thyme